Plea, bail hearing delayed in Innisfail collision case
The man accused of impaired driving causing the death of four Filipino temporary workers after a collision on QE II on March 4 had his bail hearing and plea put over until March 14.
Tyler James Stevens, 29, from Cochrane and Innisfail, is facing four charges of impaired driving causing death, one charge of impaired driving causing bodily harm, four charges of refusing to provide a sample after a collision causing death, four charges of criminal negligence causing death and one charge of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.
An agent for Stevens’ lawyer appeared in Red Deer provincial court on the afternoon of March 9 and asked the bail hearing, election of court and plea be put over until Wednesday. The matter had already been adjourned after an agent’s appearance on March 6. Stevens is still in custody.
Stevens has been charged in connection with the collision that occurred on the south edge of Innisfail at 11:10 p.m. on March 4. According to the Innisfail Integrated Traffic Unit, Stevens was driving a Range Rover SUV north in the southbound lanes.
The Range Rover collided with the Dodge Journey that five Filipino hotel workers were travelling in.
The four people killed in the crash are: Anthony Castillon, 35, Joey Mangonon, 35, Josefina Velarde, 52 and Eden Biazon, 39. Josephine Tamondong, 28, is still at the University of Alberta Hospital in Edmonton as a result of injuries sustained during the collision, RCMP Cpl. Al Nikolson said.
Nikolson said the vehicle was reported travelling in the wrong direction by several witnesses before the collision happened.
“It appears it was Olds where it was first spotted,” Nikolson said.
The five people in the southbound vehicle were living in the Edmonton area.